Dublin City Hotel

Grand Canal Dock Dart Station

Located just a short 2 minute walk from the Hotel

Book with us Direct and SAVE

Contemporary and Spacious Rooms

Grand Canal Hotel & the McEniff Family

Grand Canal Hotel in Dublin was opened on the original site of Kitty O’Sheas Pub by Sean McEniff and Family in March 2005. This family owned hotel was originally opened as a three-star property with 142 bedrooms, 5 conference rooms, restaurant, bar and basement car park.

Cllr Sean McEniff was already familiar with the hotel business as his parents owned the Holyrood Hotel in Bundoran. His own first steps on the road to becoming a renowned hotelier were taken when he bought the Great Northern Hotel with his brother Brian.
He later dissolved the partnership with Brian who still owns the Great Northern Hotel and operates hotels under the name Brian McEniff Hotels.
Cllr Sean McEniff bought two other properties, the Allingham Arms in Bundoran and the Mount Errigal in Letterkenny. He then expanded nationally with the Camden Court, Grand Canal and the Ardmore Hotel which has since been sold.
Cllr McEniff brought his experience in promoting tourism locally to a national platform when he took on the role of Director of Bord Fáilte. He held this position from 1993 to 1998.
Cllr McEniff sadly passed away in 2017 and the hotels in Bundoran, Letterkenny and Dublin are today managed by members of the Sean McEniff Family.
Grand Canal Hotel has become a four-star property in 2016 with the most recent bedroom refurbishment completed in 2018. The Decking area and business centre are recent additions to the hotel.
Our Conference Rooms get their name from some of the hotels that the two Donegal Brothers were associated throughout the years, Mount Errigal (Sean McEniff originally, now Terry McEniff) Holyrood, (now Brian McEniff-Bundoran, Co Donegal), Ard Ri (Sean McEniff Hotel in Waterford, now sold), Allingham (Sean McEniff Hotel in Bundoran, Donegal now Elizabeth McIntyre nee McEniff) and Yeats. (Brian McEniff-Sligo)

Grand Canal Hotel & the McEniff Family

Kitty O'Shea

Kitty O’Sheas Pub plays a key role in the Grand Canal Hotel history as the Hotel was built on the original site of the pub. The pub was opened in 1981 until 2005 when the bar was then rebranded and named as the Gasworks Bar.

The pub was originally named after Katharine Parnell known before her second marriage as Katharine O’Shea and usually called by friends Katie O’Shea and by enemies by Kitty O’Shea. She was an English woman of aristocratic background, whose decade-long secret adultery with Charles Stewart Parnell led to a widely publicized divorce in 1890 and his political downfall. Katharine was married to Captain William O’Shea from whom she separated around 1875. Katharine first met Parnell in 1880 and began a relationship with him. Three of Katharine's children were fathered by Parnell; Captain O'Shea knew about the relationship. He challenged Parnell to a duel in 1881 and initially forbade his estranged wife to see him, although she said that he encouraged her in the relationship. However, he kept publicly quiet for several years. Although their relationship was a subject of gossip in London political circles from 1881, later public knowledge of the affair in an England governed by "Victorian morality" with a "nonconformist conscience" created a huge scandal, as adultery was prohibited by the Ten Commandments.

Katharine's divorce proceedings from Captain O'Shea, in which Parnell was named as co-respondent, led to Parnell's being deserted by a majority of his own Irish Parliamentary Party and to his downfall as its leader in December 1890. Catholic Ireland felt a profound sense of shock when Katharine broke the vows of her previous Catholic marriage by marrying Parnell on 25 June 1891. With Parnell's political life and his health essentially ruined, he died at the age of 45 in Hove on 6 October 1891 in her arms, less than four months after their marriage.
Though to her friends she was known as Katie O'Shea, Parnell's enemies, in order to damage him personally, called her "Kitty O'Shea" because at that time "kitty", as well as being a Hiberno-English version of Catherine/Katherine/Katharine, was also a slang term for a prostitute. She lived the rest of her life in relative obscurity, and is buried in Littlehampton, Sussex, England.

Kitty O'Shea

The Gasworks Bar by Galway Bay Brewery

The Gasworks Bar at the Grand Canal Hotel takes its name from the local landmark the Gasworks located just across the street from the hotel. The gasometer was built in 1885 by Samuel Cutler & Sons and it was a large container used for storing town gas at ambient temperatures. The walls of the original structure are now surrounding an apartment complex now known as the Alliance.
The Gasworks Bar at the Grand Canal Hotel was originally a traditional Irish Bar continuing along the lines of Kitty O Shea’s.
Grand Canal Hotel started its partnership with Galway Bay Brewery in early 2015 by completely transforming the look and feel of the Gasworks Bar and turning the venue into speciality craft beer bar. With its delicious food and extensive selection of craft beers, the Gasworks Bar attracts local connoisseurs and Hotel guests to relax and enjoy an evening full of good food and drinks in a relaxing and authentic atmosphere. This unique venue is also a great spot of watching sport events on big screens and for group nights out.
The history of Galway Bay Brewery starts from their now flagship bar The Oslo to which the owners Jason O’Connell and Niall Walsh added a brewery on site in 2009, making The Oslo one of Ireland’s first brew pubs. Since then Galway Bay Brewery has expanded operations to 12 bars based in Galway and Dublin and have grown and re-positioned the Brewery just outside of Galway in Ballybrit. The Brewery now produces four core beers along with a plethora of rotational beers that are released throughout the year.

The Gasworks Bar by Galway Bay Brewery

We look forward to welcoming you to the Grand Canal Hotel soon.

Warm Regards,
Grand Canal Hotel Team