In line with current government restrictions the Grand Canal Hotel is open and we are delighted to continue to welcome guests. We are getting used to a new way of delivering the service and comfort that our guests expect from their stay at the hotel. We are continually monitoring information from the HSE, the Irish Government, the World Health Organisation as well as our partners in the Irish Hotel Federation. Please note that we require guests to wear a face covering while entering and moving around the hotel.
Thankfully our lobby, restaurant and bar are large enough to enable excellent, and well organised, social distancing in a relaxed and safe manner for our hotel guests. We have installed discreet screens which allow our Reception Team to deal with guests safely and comfortably. Whilst our Bar is open for hotel guests wishing to dine, the decking area is available for a limited number of non-residents to eat and drink in comfort and safety.
Some of the changes taking place behind the scenes, and that our guests will notice, include:
Arrival & Reception
• Masks must be worn as you move through the hotel.
• Contactless payment, such as credit cards, will be encouraged.
• Key cards will be sanitised before distribution to new guests.
• Receipts will be emailed to guests, where possible, to avoid unnecessary contact.
• Signage throughout the hotel will remind guests not familiar with the building of where to socially distance and promote regular handwashing.
• Hand sanitisers will be visible, and plentiful, throughout the hotel with particular focus on the hotel lobby, lift lobbies, hotel entrance, reception and our food and beverage outlets.
• Foot pedals have been installed for guest area doors that are not automatic.
• Suitable cleaning products and disinfectants will ensure best possible protection against bacteria and viruses.
• Bedroom cleanliness was always a core Grand Canal Hotel value but a new emphasis will ensure key touchpoints - high contact areas and hard surfaces such as remote controls, light switches, telephones, door handles – are appropriately sanitised.
• Sanitising wipes will be provided in bedrooms for added peace of mind.
• A dedicated employee will be on duty to sanitise all guest areas at regular intervals including doors, lifts, handrails and toilet areas.
• All employees will receive retraining on the additional cleaning measures being implemented to ensure hygiene standards are at the highest possible level.
Employees and Training
• Appointment of a Covid-19 Lead Representative Worker to our Safety Team.
• HSE Hand Washing Techniques will be reiterated to all employees returning to work for the first time after our closure.
• There will be immediate online training and induction for returning staff as well as re-fresher courses.
• PPE such as plastic aprons, masks and gloves will be provided to employees where appropriate.
• Employee rosters will be arranged to ensure limited contact between team members.
• Employees taking public transport will not arrive in uniform - additional showers and changing facilities will be provided to assist with changing into hotel livery.
• Hotel management will actively encourage preventative measures against Covid-19 eg hand washing and respiratory hygiene.
• Full training will be provided to employees on how to deal with suspected cases of Covid-19 either from a fellow employee or a guest (isolation, reporting, contact tracing).
Food and Beverage
• All buffets will be removed from our offering and replaced with table service.
• Room service menus will be available with contactless payment.
• Following current government advice we will ensure a distance, currently 1.5 meters is designated, between all tables.
• Table use will be rotated and capacity of the restaurant will be limited as per most recent government guidelines.